Monday, February 4, 2019

Coming Continuing Comics 1: a look at cool new super-comic solicits in February 2019

I've been reading comics for somewhere around a billion years now. And one of my favorite parts of buying weird and wonderful comics from a variety of publishers. This new feature will spin out from my own monthly adds to my pull list as I take a look and share comics I think look promising. These are comics I'm commenting upon with only covers and perhaps a few preview pages to look at. It does not serve as a full endorsement of anything, just a sampling of what I think looks interesting.

As a reminder, my definition of super powered fiction continues to cover a whole plethora of characters and stories, not just costumed superheroes. Be prepared to see several non-costumed characters with powers featured in these columns.

Punk Mambo

One of the best original creations of the modern Valiant is Punk Mambo, the voodoo practicing walker between the Louisiana bayou and the Shadowside. The character was already visually interesting but with Sixth Gun writer Cullen Bunn writing this new limited series, we can expect an amazing story with a major horror bent. With Adam Gorham on interiors, Dan Brereton absolutely kills it on the cover.

Brereton knocks this cover out of the park. 

Section Zero

Karl Kesel and Tom Grummett are one of the best creative teams to work among my generations of comic fans. From their work on Superboy, they impressed me, and both have continued to work closely with one another over the years.

Section Zero has been through a couple iterations. It debuted as part of the quickly-collapsed Gorilla Comics line published by Image in 2000. Three issues were released back then, but the first six issue arc was never finished. Kesel funded the project last year on Kickstarter and released a graphic novel collection. This has set up a new publishing strategy for Kesel and Grummett, where they will fund a new series, publish it as a graphic novel for backers, and then release it as an Image limited series.

That being said, you can rest assured that all six issues of this new take on Section Zero are done and will be published by Image.

The series focuses on a team centered around Area 51, a group of agents with almost a family dynamic as they seek to protect the world from the things that go bump in the night. It's absolutely fun and Grummett draws it with his usual skill. I cannot wait to see this series back on a monthly basis!

Did I forget to mention the Walter Simonson variant cover?
All Time Comics: Zerosis Deathscape

The first run of All Time Comics were a fascinating new comic universe of seventies style heroes. Masterminded by long time comic creator (and teacher) Josh Bayer, it featured art from a plethora of new school artists with retro styles (Benjamin Marra) and old school artists (Al Milgrom). The new series features a vast universal event with a zero issue (out in April) followed by a five issue limited series, all of which is drawn by Trevor Von Eeden. The style of this one isn't for everyone, but it definitely ticks off a lot of my favorite things in comics.

No, I don't have a clue about the Forbush Man lookalike.
Major X

I won't always feature a Marvel or DC book in this column, but sometimes one sticks out as something I want to focus on. For years I've argued that despite his lack of anatomically correct imagery, Rob Liefeld is one of the greatest creators of comics in the last thirty years with a relentless energy unmatched by anyone else in comics. He's creating a new X-Men character with Major X and I'm all in because if Liefeld makes anything interesting, it's world building.

I know Liefeld isn't for everyone, but if you find the piece below interesting like I do, I encourage you to give it a chance.


That wraps up the first edition of Triple C. Let me know in the comments if there's any new titles you think I should be checking out in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment