Tuesday, October 30, 2018

The Halloween Job (Tuesday Throwback)

Back in 2014, my goal was 52 stories, basically one per week for the entire year. I wanted to deliver these in a variety of different avenues, and such avenue was the twitter story. Hence, The Halloween Job was born. It's a very simple narrative, probably best described as flash fiction. But it has sat hidden from much of the world since it first appeared on Halloween 2014, so I decided I would share it with you, dear reader, again today. 
Enjoy, and keep your eye out. You might just recognize a familiar character I've talked about on the blog in the last few weeks...
It was supposed to be an easy gig. The kind everyone walked away rich from. Jules had it all figured.

1st National had 10 million in bonds coming out on a Brinks truck. We were just going to withdraw it on the way out. Smash, grab, run.

And it wasn’t like I was one of the guys inside. I was the wheels, man. I just had to drive us away. I’m no killer.

It was an evening job. Just after dark. Only a few folks would be at the bank. It was supposed to be easy.

Jules, Marie and Terrence went inside. They didn’t play either. Jules got AKs off some Russian & they were ready to shoot.

I waited in the car. When they came out, it was clear something went really wrong. Terrence wasn’t with Jules & Marie.

Jules & Marie were both covered in blood. They looked like they took a bath in it. It didn’t make sense at all.

They threw themselves in the back of the car. They both yelled, “Drive! Drive!” So I drove. I was up to ninety in seconds.

But that wasn’t the end of it. One look out the rearview and I saw it. Or should I say her.

A dark haired girl. She didn’t look like more than a teenager. But she seemed to be floating on some kind of bat wings.

I yelled a dozen curses, but Jules and Marie just kept telling me to drive. The flying woman gained on us though.

A second later, I heard a slam on the hood of the car. I saw her face in the back window just before the glass shattered.

Jules disappeared out the back. I didn’t see him hit the ground. I was already swerving around the road, but she held fast.

Marie jumped from out her window, trying to escape. I heard her body hit the ground. It wasn’t pretty.

The woman was in the car with me. “You shouldn’t have done that,” she said. Then she opened her mouth.

I saw her fangs. Terrible gigantic teeth. I saw her mouth open like a snake’s—too wide. And that was the last thing I saw.

That’s how I got here. What is this place anyway? What’s with all the fire? What are you doing with that pitchfork? Noooo!


No comments:

Post a Comment