Thursday, June 30, 2016

F.O.R.C.E. Files: Doc Tesla

When I created F.O.R.C.E., my goal was to play with the various archetypes that appear in super powered fiction. Legend combines a pair of tropes as I covered before, but the focus of the second chapter takes a look at the concept of the legacy hero. Doc Tesla is the great-granddaughter of the legendary inventor and the third generation of hero to use Nikola Tesla's technology to fight crime and serve those around her.

The legacy hero as a concept dates back to Lee Falk's The Phantom, but DC has numerous heroes that fit the category as well. Though many were written out of continuity by the New 52, they all appear to slowly be making their return now as part of DC Rebirth.

I'm not quite sure where I came up with the idea for a legacy hero framed around the legend of Tesla, but it dates back to the mid-2000s when I first started to embellish my old super-team into F.O.R.C.E. She was one of my earliest additions to the team after the core duo of Legend and Iron, characters that long predated the idea.

Despite her origins being much later than most of her teammates, Doc Tesla became one of my favorite characters on the team. She has a rather different origin than the rest of the team and remains new at using her equipment.

Her tale also adds some poignancy to the ongoing saga of F.O.R.C.E. I don't want to spoil anything, but both in the flashback and modern sections, our heroes face terrifying decisions.

Check out F.O.R.C.E.: Doc Tesla for only 99 cents at Amazon and Smashwords.

No comments:

Post a Comment