Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Looking back at 2018: the top 5 reads

I wanted to read a lot more novels than I read in 2018, but instead I found much of my reading time spent on research for various projects online. That being said, I still managed to read several great novels in the year and here's a lovely list of my five favorite.

Remember, this is just a list of the favorite books I read in 2018, not necessarily books released in 2018.


  1. Mississippi Roll: A Wild Cards Novel edited by George R. R. Martin

    The new standalone novels in this series are refreshing after multiple heavily connected series and I would honestly prefer they keep that format going forward. I haven't stayed caught up with the follow up novels as of yet, but they are on my radar for 2019.

  2. A Call to Duty by David Weber and Timothy Zahn

    I read several Honor Harrington books in my teens and early twenties, but it has been a series I wanted to dive back into for some time. This first book in a prequel series by Weber and one of my favorite authors, Timothy Zahn, drew my interest enough to jump back in. It proved to be a great read, so much so that the sequel is already done and the final book in the series is in my reading list.

  3. Arsenal: Full Metal Superhero by Jeffrey H. Haskell

    I stumbled upon this one thanks to a buy at my job and I am hooked. Haskell is one of the few supers writers not on my radar but he proved to be a great one with this first book in his ongoing series. I'm definitely interested in seeing where it goes in the follow up novels.

  4. Catwoman: Soulstealer by Sarah J. Maas

    I talked about this one just a few days ago, but Maas has the clear winner in licensed superhero novels this year. She weaves an amazing new take on Gotham centered around Selina Kyle, one I would love to see more of in the future.

  5. The Oracle Year by Charles Soule

    Charles Soule has written his share of superhero comics, but his literary take on the tale of a man with a limited set of future visions proved to be the most fascinating read I completed in the calendar year. I'm curious to see what the future holds for his prose career. 


Buy them on Amazon:

No comments:

Post a Comment