Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Rise of Rulah reviewed!

A classic Rulah cover by the amazing
Matt Baker. 
I grew up with a fascination for jungle heroes. It was a strange fascination, built on the back of many a mediocre Tarzan film. You see, in small town Iowa back in the 80s, it wasn't easy to find copies of Edgar Rice Burroughs novels. Nor were many jungle characters appearing in comics. (Marvel's Ka-Zar book was canceled just as I got into reading comics with G.I. Joe and Transformers.)

But I loved them, conceptually at least. Every Tarzan film I saw from the Johnny Weissmuller classics to the long winded Greystoke, made me think I could do a jungle hero better.

Twenty years later, I made my attempt with a revival of a classic public domain jungle queen. The short story "The Rise of Rulah" revived Rulah, Jungle Goddess, and remains one of my favorite short stories.

Happily, Amazon reader GePop seems to agree. He wrote of my work in his review:
A good, quick read, with a nice quasi-realistic (well, as realistic as this premise can hope to get) explanation of the origin of the white jungle goddess. Good fun, and it rings all sorts of nostalgic bells. I'd like to see additional Rulah stories from this author.
GePop will be happy to know more Rulah stories are in the works. I have no timetable for their release right at this moment, but I am in the planning stages of her return adventure. I have a lot of stories to tell about the character and a lot more weird supporting cast members to develop.

In the mean time, why not check out my Rulah tale right now over on Amazon or Smashwords.

No comments:

Post a Comment